Friday, June 13, 2008

A Day Off Work - that means I'll be working tomorrow

The Sparrow Nest

For Mother's Day I received a New Guinea Impatien hanging basket from my son and daughter-in-law. I hung it under our deck and a sparrow promptly added a chickweed and sheep's hair nest. I removed the nest and she put it back. I left it there and she and a cowbird both put their eggs in it. I removed the 2 cowbird eggs. When one of her 5 eggs had hatched, I couldn't wait to photograph it. Unfortunately, the first baby somehow got out of the nest and died. Mama kept sitting on the 4 remaining eggs. The first 2 of those eggs have hatched. Two more to go. They are such tiny mites. Fuzzy little critters with transparent skin, so fragile looking. I'll keep you posted.










Hay Mowing
Merlin and I went out to check the freshly mown pasture and hayfields this morning. He loves to run ahead looking for something to chase. I let him go, in hope that any snakes will clear out before I pass through behind him.

The sheep were in the pasture that Dad will mow today. The grass was taller than they. The lambs have really grown. It's time to take some of them away from their Moms. Not my favorite thing to do, just a necessary part of life. This is Toffee in the tall grass. She's delivered triplets all three years she's had babies. Her 2008 ewe lamb, Tresor, is a treasure. I plan to keep her as a part of my flock. Dad saw the sheep in the freshly mown grass this morning. He said they were romping around, enjoying that it was cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment