Sunday, September 6, 2009

Spinning a Yarn

After returning home from the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival in May, I was ready to spin yarn. I had purchased 8 ounces of roving from Gale's Art while I was there. Then, I ran across a Fiber Fancy ad and found more roving that I needed to have.
All summer the roving has been calling to me. Finally, I got out my spinning wheel and I've been spinning. I've been having a grand time. Gus would like to assist. He thinks fiber preparation is his forte. I think I don't want him anywhere near my roving and yarn. When he sees it, he becomes excited. His mouth flies open and his hind claws extend. I've been sending him outside to chase bugs in the evenings as I spin.
Here are some photos. When you click on the photos to enlarge them, they come alive. This is the Gale's Art roving: The sigle ply being spun: and as 2 ply yarn:
Currently I'm working on spinning Fiber Fancy's Earthy Rainbow roving: This is how the singles look:I took this photo yesterday as I was trying to best capture the colors in the yarn. The wonderful fall jewel tones put a smile on my face. When I finish spinning this, I plan to spin some of my own gray roving. Then with both yarns I can knit a new fall bag for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful!I haven't spun anything in about a month, you have just inspired me to get going again. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete